Following Mark Wahlberg

by Chris Traficante Featured 17 Comments 12 Votes 1466 Views 26/02/2012 Back to Articles

Following Mark Wahlberg

Mark Wahlberg's performance in Contraband has opened to mixed reviews thus far. That being said, Wahlberg's career has been steady and long-running. His performance as Irish in 2010 hit The Fighter was of great quality and only three years prior to that, he was nominated for an Oscar in his role as Dignam in Martin Scorsese's The Departed.

I know some people have failed to shake their perception of Wahlberg as the pretty boy pop artist that belted out 'Good Vibrations' as part of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, his music project in the 1990s. It is important, however, that audiences put aside these preconceptions of Wahlberg as some 'boy band diva' that made the transition to film. He is a credible actor that has built up an impressive cinematic career over the course of two decades.

Whilst Fear is a haphazard thriller, it is held together by Wahlberg's performance as David, the narrative's psychotically intense boyfriend. The year before, in 1995, he also featured in The Basketball Diaries, a gruelling but effective tale about adolescence, drugs and basketball. Wahlberg went on in the years following to feature in some of the better films of his career, such as Boogie Nights, Three Kings and I Heart Huckabees. His versatility is undeniable; he has been able to play a myriad of characters ranging from insane to the mischievous.

Sure, Wahlberg has featured in some stinkers, ranging from Four Brothers and The Perfect Storm all the way through to The Italian Job and Max Payne, but his career has been successful. He's due to feature in Ted, Seth MacFarlane's directorial debut.

By Chris Traficante

Link to us http://movies.mmgn.com/Articles/Following-Mark-Wahlberg
Tags: Boogie Contraband Departed Nights the
Register or Login to vote for this article.
Alternatively, connect with Facebook or Twitter.
Facebook Connect Twitter Login

More Info on Contraband

  • Contraband
  • Contraband
Movie Profile: Contraband
Australian Release: Out Now

Following Mark Wahlberg Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
Loved 'Three Kings'. [MOG]
The Italian Job is not a stinker. Following Mark Wahlberg

The Big Hit is, but it's so ridiculous its awesome.

Makra said: The Italian Job is not a stinker.
The Big Hit is, but it's so ridiculous its awesome.


Meh, I don't really like either. :S
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its a stinker. If something is widely criticised then that's fine to call it a stinker, but the Italian Job is sitting on a 72% rating on RT.
ive basically seen his whole filmography that includes his producing credits for entourage & how to make it in america LOL... my favs are Fear, Boogie Nights, Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees, Italian Job, Shooter...
The Italian Job is a lot of fun.

Re-watched the Departed last night. He is so great in that film, easily his best performance.

Makra said: Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its a stinker. If something is widely criticised then that's fine to call it a stinker, but the Italian Job is sitting on a 72% rating on RT.


www.youtube.com/...

Cinemaniac said:

Makra said: Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its a stinker. If something is widely criticised then that's fine to call it a stinker, but the Italian Job is sitting on a 72% rating on RT.


www.youtube.com/...



???

WiiSUME1up said: ive basically seen his whole filmography that includes his producing credits for entourage & how to make it in america LOL... my favs are Fear, Boogie Nights, Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees, Italian Job, Shooter...


'Boogie Nights', 'Three Kings' and 'The Departed' are his best, in my opinion.
This must be mentioned, just for the lols.

Get the Adobe Flash Player to see this video.

I actually feel sorry for him with this, he probably did 30 takes and some idiot chose this lolworthy one.

I like him, he's a douche, but he is very solid in Shooter, The Fighter and Departed. He's one of those actors that I imagine would have been in a lot more movies that I like, but isn't.

IAMColonel said: This must be mentioned, just for the lols.
I actually feel sorry for him with this, he probably did 30 takes and some idiot chose this lolworthy one.
I like him, he's a douche, but he is very solid in Shooter, The Fighter and Departed. He's one of those actors that I imagine would have been in a lot more movies that I like, but isn't.


He was strong in 'The Fighter' and 'The Departed', but I'd argue that his performance in 'Shooter' wasn't as memorable.
Shooter for me was good and departed was even better. I also liked Four Brothers, it was different for me

Cinemaniac said:

IAMColonel said: This must be mentioned, just for the lols.
I actually feel sorry for him with this, he probably did 30 takes and some idiot chose this lolworthy one.
I like him, he's a douche, but he is very solid in Shooter, The Fighter and Departed. He's one of those actors that I imagine would have been in a lot more movies that I like, but isn't.


He was strong in 'The Fighter' and 'The Departed', but I'd argue that his performance in 'Shooter' wasn't as memorable.



Well yes, but I just really like Shooter :)

IAMColonel said:


Cinemaniac said:


IAMColonel said: This must be mentioned, just for the lols.
I actually feel sorry for him with this, he probably did 30 takes and some idiot chose this lolworthy one.
I like him, he's a douche, but he is very solid in Shooter, The Fighter and Departed. He's one of those actors that I imagine would have been in a lot more movies that I like, but isn't.


He was strong in 'The Fighter' and 'The Departed', but I'd argue that his performance in 'Shooter' wasn't as memorable.


Well yes, but I just really like Shooter


Fair enough! [MOG]
you dont think you understand. these boys killed my dog

renagadez said: you dont think you understand. these boys killed my dog


lol
The other guys was good :O

Post a comment

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
  • Contraband
  • Contraband

Movies Content

Which July movie are you most excited for?

Which July movie are you most excited for?

27/06/2013 Polls 18 40
Back To The Future

Back To The Future's WiiFit hoverboard

Tano 2 days News 0 2
Chris Lilley's new series on iView before broadcast

Chris Lilley's new series on iView before broadcast

Gryllis 17/04 News 1 11
Paul Walker's brothers will finish Fast & Furious 7

Paul Walker's brothers will finish Fast & Furious 7

Gryllis 16/04 News 0 4
Fascinating look inside Peter Jackson's editing lair

Fascinating look inside Peter Jackson's editing lair

Tano 15/04 News 0 4
The Lego Movie review

The Lego Movie review

OutsetBrodie 15/04 Articles 2 14
David Attenborough creating documentary for Oculus Rift
JJake 13/04 News 1 5
Star Wars: Episode VII already filming without full cast

Star Wars: Episode VII already filming without full cast

Gryllis 07/04 News 0 2
Noah review

Noah review

OutsetBrodie 03/04 Articles 4 5

Community Content

A loser
03/03/2014 Blog 13 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

commented on New Ace Attorney goes back in time without Phoenix Wright

CptAwesome 37 mins ago
Username

Elraro, MX_Xizz0R commented on First image confirms new Call of Duty has a man in it

Elraro 2 hours ago
Username

inubazh11, MX_Xizz0R, Elraro commented on Zuckerberg tried Sony's Project Morpheus VR before Facebook bought Oculus

inubazh11 4 hours ago
Username

commented on Fatal Frame movie in the works

zurczner 4 hours ago
Username

Tano, MX_Xizz0R commented on Introducing H1Z1: Sony’s zombie apocalypse fantasy game

Tano 5 hours ago
Username

Kenni made a change to Soul Eater Not!

Kenni 7 hours ago
Username

Kenni made a change to No Game, No Life

Kenni 7 hours ago